Soverainís intellectual property originated in the early days of the commercial Internet and was brought to life as a result of the vision and innovation of Open Market, Inc., whose Internet commerce software commanded the number one global market share in the late 1990s, used by over 1,000 customers in 25 countries.
With the ongoing assistance of the inventors, Soverainís portfolio has grown to over 50 issued and pending U.S. and international patents in eight patent families covering fundamental aspects of Internet technology. Dating from applications filed in 1994 and 1995 at the dawn of the Internet age, before the launches of Amazon, eBay, Internet Explorer and Google, Soverainís patents are among the most highly-cited at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Among the technologies addressed by this portfolio are:
- Internet-based systems for making secure payments
- Online purchasing methodologies
- Online shopping cart system
- Online advertising creation and product fulfillment
- Online customer service
- Hypertext-based linking and authentication
- Multi-merchant/-site transaction processing and order fulfillment
- Session management in the stateless environment of the Internet
- Mapping telephone numbers to URLs
In addition to the initial application process, five of Soverainís patents have been successfully reexamined a collective eight times by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Ė three of the patents twice each.